So, I observed that my essential oil diffusers have some dirt accumulated inside them (what I mean is deep inside your reservoir)…
The first thing you’ll notice is that the inside of the diffuser feels slimy, which is the start of dirt accumulating inside your diffuser.
To avoid poor performance and diffuser damage, you must at least wipe the slimy thing off your essential oil diffuser with a clean wipe or soft cloth.
In this article, I’ll provide a simple guide to cleaning your diffuser as well as answers to frequently asked questions about cleaning your diffuser.
Table of contents
Can you clean an oil diffuser?
If you’re still unsure or your diffuser didn’t come with a manual – Yes, you can clean your oil diffuser.
Like any other home object, they can accumulate dust and dirt over time. If you are looking to keep your diffuser clean and free of bacteria…
You will need to disassemble the diffuser ( usually, you need to remove the cover) and then clean all the removable parts with mild soap and water. Be sure to dry all of the pieces completely before reassembling the diffuser.
Again if you don’t have your manufacturer’s manual, you can follow the tips below;
Here are some valuable tips:
- To clean the diffuser itself, wipe it down with a damp cloth.
- Use a mild soap solution or an all-purpose cleaner if there is any debris or oil residue on the surfaces.
- Be careful not to scrub the surface too hard; you want to loosen any built-up dirt and dust.
- Once it’s clean, dry it off completely before using it again.
If the diffuser contains essential oils residue, be sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions before cleaning them.
Many essential oils react badly with water or soap solutions; therefore, it is important to use the right kind of cleaner for them.
Can oil diffusers benefit from regular cleaning?
I was skeptical when I read that you should clean your oil diffuser on a regular basis because I assumed I was just using water and highly aromatic essential oils. What harm can water and essential oils do to my electronic diffusers?
Then I realized from my wife that regular cleaning of an oil diffuser could help to keep the diffuser in good condition and operating at its best. By removing any build-up of dust and debris, the diffuser will be able to release its fragrance more efficiently.
For regular cleaning of your diffuser, follow these steps:
- Remove all essential oils from the diffuser. This means removing all of the drops that have been dispersed and any residue that may have accumulated on the parts of the device.
- Wipe down all surfaces with a damp cloth or sponge. Make sure to clean underneath each part of the diffuser as well as around any openings.
Regular cleaning of an essential oil diffuser can also be done with warm soapy water and a soft cloth just like I mentioned above.
But be sure to avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasives as this could damage the diffuser.
If you feel that the device needs replacing, it is best to do so before its filters become clogged with oils and debris.
You should also read this article about big sized diffusers
Some are also asking if you can just use a distilled water in cleaning your diffuser.
In the next section will explain if distilled water is enough for cleaning your diffuser..
Is it enough to use distilled water in cleaning your diffuser?
Distilled water is the best way to keep your essential oil diffuser running smoothly, but it’s not necessary to clean it.
If you are using distilled water and essential oils to your diffuser, it is necessary to clean it. Distilled water and essential oils will mix together and create residue that will accumulate over time.
To clean your diffuser, pour a small amount of vinegar into your diffuser’s reservoir and turn it on. The acid in the vinegar or soda will break down the oil residue so that it can be cleaned easily.
Yes, you must still wipe your unit with a soft cloth and unplug it before beginning the cleaning process.
Here’s a guide on the best water to use with your diffuser if you’re curious about the best water to use with your diffuser.
Continue reading if you’re also curious about cleaning various diffuser types, such as wood diffusers and ceramic diffusers.
How to clean essential oil wood diffuser?
If you own an essential oil wood diffuser, then it is important to clean it on a regular basis in order to keep the diffuser running smoothly.
You’ll notice that the process is generally the same for every type of diffusers.
Here are few simple steps that you can take to clean your essential oil wood diffuser:
1. Make sure the diffuser is turned off before cleaning.
2. You can pour a small amount of mild soapy water into the diffuser bowl and swirl it to remove residues.
4. Or if you have cleaning solution then pour it into the diffuser, making sure to get all of the dirt and residue. Swirl to get the dirt off.
6 Rinse all components thoroughly with fresh water after completing, make sure to check if you’re able to remove ALL residues!
How to clean ceramic essential oil diffusers?
So far, I’ve been recommending the same methods for cleaning diffusers. Your ceramic diffusers are the same in this regard.
It’s just as simple to clean a ceramic essential oil diffuser as any other diffuser, but there’s an alternative way you can utilize.
Here are some alternative tips in cleaning your ceramic diffusers; All you need is some warm, soapy water and a soft cloth again… 😉
- But first, wipe down the diffuser with a dry cloth to remove any dust or debris.
- Then, fill up the diffuser with your warm soapy water and let it soak for a few minutes.
- Pour out the water and use a soft cloth to clean all of the surfaces of the diffuser.
- Be sure to rinse off all of the soap before keeping it or before using it.
I always recommend reading the manual for your essential oil diffuser to avoid damaging it. And you can always contact the manufacturer for instructions on how to clean your diffusers.
If you are unsure about using soapy water, you can simply add a few drops of vinegar in your diffuser with water, let the diffuser run for a few minutes, and then wipe it clean.